Today, we present you an upgrade project of Inspiricon. It was a SAP BW Upgrade from 7.3 to 7.4, realized in the years 2015 – 2016.
Our clients‘ requirements were the following:
- Release change to SAP BW
- Increase of system stability
- Integration of HANA-optimized data models
Please find a summary of our approach here: http://inspiricon.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Inspiricon_Upgrade-SAP-BW-7.4.pdf
Our initial position
Before the upgrade, our client had the release SAP BW 7.3 with different service packages. The upgrade to version 7.4 was necessary in order to
- enhance system performance
- develop mobile reportings and applications with Fiori
- keep SAP systems up to date (bringing in the latest SAP information)
The challenge for Inspiricon
Due to the fact that our client is working globally, our project team was confronted with a heterogeneous IT landscape. The existing reporting is also used worldwide. As a consequence, the BI system creates the possibility to work with the data globally on group level in order to ensure a uniform reporting system.
The following challenges had to be solved from the Inspiricon team in this project:
- Connected systems and related dependencies had to be taken into account
- The existing landscape is very complex
- Many projects were ongoing during the release change, all simultaneously on the system that was to upgrade. Organizationally spoken, information exchange between different projects had to be coordinated promptly in all time zones.
- No interruption of ongoing operations (“silent upgrade”)
- Test management: ongoing coverage of all existing system functionalities
The project team comprised up to 20 persons, of which two were Nearshoring resources (BI-IT). The Inspiricon Nearshoring-team contributed the onsite-team not only with its long-time experience and quality standards but also with a significant cost benefit. Read more on Nearshoring here.
Successful project closing
Go-Live was at the end of May 2016, followed by an intensive Hyper Care Phase for 3 weeks. During this time, our Inspiricon team supported the client until the system was running as performant and stable as it was required.
Due to the release change, our client is now able to use the latest HANA objects entirely and to benefit from their performance advantage. Customer requirements were fully met – subsequent projects are already assigned.
Inspiricon Best Practices
We can learn a lot from successful projects. That is why we developed best practices for future projects from this upgrade project. They include the following and can be transferred to other projects:
- Upgrade process (Approach, Upgrade Project Timeline)
- Upgrade of technical plan (Pre-upgrade, Upgrade and post-upgrade checklists)
- Resource Matrix (Project Organigram, Roles and Responsibilities, Communication Matrix)
- Challenges and recommendations
Additional to this blog post, we recommend you to read our Best Practice “Inspiricon Best Practices in use” (only available in German).